Wednesday, May 03, 2006

An interesting read in today's Australian. Eslpeth Probyn writing about youth and a quote about schooling: Maturity becomes them

My partner and I watched, amazed by the example shown by these 13-year-olds. Then we talked about the difference between our youth and theirs. She put her finger on it when she remarked that by 15 she'd had the assurance of these 13-year-olds bashed out of her by the school system. Thinking back, I have to say that it was the same for me. Maybe it's not that young people are growing up too fast. It's just that at least some are being encouraged to handle the world with ease and self-assurance. These little adults really are human becomings.

1 comment:

Trudy said...

This article is cool. It reminded me of themes I heard at our Regional Conference about Generation Y. This is a topic of interest for me at the moment. Unfortunately I don'f feel like I'm doing much with it at present but anyways... If you're interested the presenter was Peter Sheahan. I have also read his book "Generation Y: Thriving and Surviving with Generation Y at Work". You may find it at a bookshop. I saw it in the Brisbane Airport Bookshop.